New Beginnings Program (The Tri-Cities Early Years Refugee Program)
This program is for Government-Assisted Refugee (GAR) families with children from birth to ages five, who are living in the Tri-Cities. It provides a safe and supportive environment in which parents can learn and play with their children, share and develop their parenting skills and knowledge, develop friendships, with other parents and connect with community resources; health, education and housing for example, which can support them in their parenting role.
Our confidential services include:
- Parent-Tot Drop-In programs, which provide age-appropriate activities for children up to five years old, and opportunities for parents/caregivers to play with their children
- Interactive parent-child programs such as Parent-Child Mother Goose, Make the Connection, and Parents as Literacy Supporters in Immigrant Communities (I-PALS)
- Information, referrals, field trips and community outings which familiarize parents with other early childhood development and early learning programs available across the Tri-Cities
- Parent education workshops, featuring guest speakers from community organizations, which increase parents’ knowledge and skills
- Individualized, as well as group supports for families in response to families’ needs, for example, family hygiene, safety in the home, support for children who may have developmental delays etc.
Our Family Workers speak a variety of languages including: Arabic, Dari, Farsi Pashto and Nepali.
New Beginnings is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and United Way of the Lower Mainland.
CONTACT US TO APPLY
The New Beginnings program is open to refugee families with children up to five years of age, who live in the Tri-Cities.
For more information, please contact: Teresa Kazieva, Program Coordinator, at 604.839.7868 or email email@example.com.
For legal support, please visit our Legal Advocacy page.
LOCATION & HOURS
Located at #204 – 504 Cottonwood Avenue, Coquitlam GET A MAP
Phone number is 604-937-3830.
Bus #97 B-Line from Lougheed Station – Get off at the “NB North Rd at Foster Ave” bus stop. Then walk 3 minutes toward Cottonwood Ave (North).
Bus #97 B-Line from Coquitlam Station – Get off at the “SB Clarke Rd at Smith Ave” bus stop. Walk 5-8 minutes towrad Cottonwood Ave (South toward Lougheed Mall).